Thursday, June 23, 2011

Belie My Burial - Belie My Burial

*Record suggested by Joey Kidd

For the longest time, actually for the two year or so, I've avoided everything Belie My Burial. I seen the video for "Finish Him" when it was released nearly two years ago and I was just blown away on how horrible this this band was. Any track that starts with a cheesy breakdown and has that said breakdown last a whooping minute an a half, that track deserves zero respect from anyone who says they love music. I'll be honest, I would of never listened to this EP on my own but it was recommended by a friends so decided to say "fuck it" and see what all the little 14 year old girls are orgasmic vibes over.

The self-titled debut EP from Belie My Burial is far from amazing, phenomenal or even great. On the other hand though, it's listenable and not as shitty as I first thought it would be. Five tracks that span over the course of eighteen minutes, it's pretty much three real songs with an intro and outro. I'll say this, as many breakdowns as this EP has, it's not like these guys don't have the talent to make a more structured record. "Tomb of Reason", the second track on the EP, proves that with it's decent vocal work and some form of sweeps by the guitarists. This track actually surprised me the most because it's just speed, speed and more speed. Layered vocal effects play a huge part in this record, so much that it sort of makes me wonder what the vocalist would actually sound like without all of it. Belie My Burial seem to be your normal, run of the mill deathcore project that knows what they wanna do but still haven't found their placement in the scene. As much as I want to hate on this record, I really can't. I only have a few complaints about it but it's not something I'll be spinning on a regular basis. Hell, I'll be lucky if it gets played off my external HDD anytime soon. "Misery Architecture", the fourth track on the record, shows you exactly what this band can bring to the table. It has a solo, it's just over five minutes in length and only two breakdown in the whole song. I know, it's like christmas when a deathcore band uses only two breakdowns, right? Another things that bothers me about, not just this band but other deathcore bands, is that the bass pedals are triggered. Clearly, you can hear that they drummer isn't that fast nor will he ever be because he lets the triggers do all the real work. I won't take anything away from the guy, he has talent, just not on those pedals that seem to give this record it's speed.

Overall, it's not a bad EP but it's also not the first thing I would recommend to someone who wants to start digging some deathcore. Belie My Burial just needs to have those creative juices flowing and I have a feeling the debut full-length might have some promise but I won't get my hopes up. Check out the record and tell me what you think. Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you wanna kill me for reviewing it? Do you wanna hump my leg in joy because I did review it? Hit me up over on Facebook.

1) The Greyman
2) Tomb of Reason
3) Paper Idol
4) Misery Architecture
5) Adendum 

No comments:

Post a Comment