Friday, June 24, 2011

Mount Moriah - Mount Moriah

Today, on the 24th of June in the year 2011, something graced my ears that made my heart melt in ways that I never thought were possible. Giving me chills that soared up my spine, making me smile in a way that I haven't done in years and just bringing the warmth of the sun right into my heart. Mount Moriah's self-titled debut record, "Mount Moriah". Heather McEntire, also of Bellafea, is back with a new project that includes guitarist Jenks Miller of Horseback, bringing you that down south North Carolina folk, alternative country and gospel sounds. 

The voice of Heather McEntire is the reason this record takes off so fast and just grabs a hold of your spirit in so many different way. It reminds you of those country records your mother or grandmother would play while you ran around the house in your underwear. I might be hitting some pretty heavy spots here but I would go as far to compare this angel of a woman to country voices such as Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette. It's not the fact that Heather hits incredible notes with her voice, it's the fact that this woman has the type of voice that could move mountains if she wanted to. I could sing praises about her voice all day long but we'll move on for now. You'll get eight tracks spanning over thirty four minutes, the shortest track being two minutes and thirty-three seconds but the longest being a graceful six minutes and ten seconds. The tempo of the record is solid from beginning to end, no fillers here track wise, just good ol' soul music. "Mound Moriah" is the type of record that any country family or person would put on while sitting around a campfire, sitting on your front porch or even just laying down for a rest. While you listen to this record you just get this overwhelming sense that no matter what could happen, nothing will take what you hold dear to your heart. From the drumming on "Lament" to the amazing bass line on "Social Wedding Rings", "Mount Moriah" is filled with zero boring moments, in my opinion. Lyric wise, you get the since that Heather is singing about some past experiences that she has overcame in her life. The crazy part and as corny as it sounds, the lyrics will literally speak right to you, as if they were written just for your ears. The atmosphere that "Mount Moriah" sets is something of a western feel, you can picture the cowboys riding by as Heather and Jenks sit on the side of a saloon, just signing for the people that pass by them.

Record of the year material? Yes, very much so, in my opinion. As of right now, "Mount Moriah" is my favorite record of 2011 and it's going to be insanely hard to beat because I'm literally addicted to this record like I've never been addicted to something before. Mount Moriah are just making tracks that they love, filled with tons of heart, emotion and good aura. No complaints from me about this record. One word: Perfection!

1) Only Way Out
2) Social Wedding Rings
3) Plane
4) Lament
5) Old Gowns
6) The Reckoning
7) We Don't Need Much
8) Hail, Lightning

No comments:

Post a Comment